Know Why It Is Important to Choose PVDF Sheet?
Know Why It Is Important to Choose PVDF Sheet?
Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF), also known as Polyvinylidene Difluoride (PVDF), is a highly non-reactive Thermoplastic Fluoropolymer. The polymerisation of Vinylidene Difluoride forms it. PVDF is a speciality plastic used in various applications where high purity and inertness to solvents, acids, and bases are desired properties. PVDF Sheet is made from that, and it also has many usages. PVDF is available in the market in fine powder grade, an essential ingredient in high-end metal and cement paints. Get the best PVDF valves from our suppliers.
Click here to know more about technical details.
Why is PVDF so important?
- PVDF is widely used in various applications, including piping and tubing, sheets and films, membranes, cable, and as an insulator for premium wire. Such PVDF paints have a high gloss and colour retention. PVDF has successfully penetrated many industries, including chemicals, electronics, new energy, construction, and pharmaceuticals.
- PVDF has a low density and is lightweight compared to other Fluoropolymers, such as Polytetrafluoroethylene (Teflon), making it useful in the construction and automotive industries. PVDF polymeric sheets and film are commonly used in the electronics, medical, and defence industries and lithium-ion batteries and can be injected, moulded, or welded. It’s also available as a cross-linked, closed-cell foam, mostly used in aviation and aerospace.
- PVDF is primarily used in critical applications that require high chemical resistance, purity, and mechanical properties. PVDF has superior creep resistance when compared to other fluoropolymers.
Characteristics of PVDF:
- Excellent creep and fatigue resistance
- Thermal stability is exceptional
- Radiation resistance is exceptional
- In chemical applications, it is frequently used as an insulation and protection cover
- UV protection (does not age)
- The dielectric constant is very high
- Temperature range: -20°C to +130°C.
PVDF is frequently used as insulation or a protective barrier in the chemical industry. Technical data sheets contain additional information about the properties of PVDF.
- Resistance to heat
- Abrasion resistance is excellent
- Most gases and liquids have a low permeability
- Mechanical toughness
- Resistance to radiation
- Excellent electrical insulator
- Chemical corrosion resistance
- PVDF pipe and fittings are one of the common applications.
- Valves, cathodes, and anodes in the manufacture of lithium-ion batteries High purity semiconductors have several applications.
PVDF is a useful engineered plastic because it has several advantages over other plastics, including strength, durability, abrasion resistance, low permeability, recyclable properties, etc.
Defining the thermoplastic:
Thermoplastics are useful for product manufacturing because they can be heated until they melt and flow. Thermoplastics harden again after cooling.
This melting, reforming, and people can repeat the cooling cycle indefinitely. Injection moulding is a manufacturing process that makes use of this. People can use it to produce a large number of consistent, high-quality thermoplastic parts quickly and affordably.
Kynar® PVDF Application:
Kynar® PVDF components are widely used in the following markets:
- In the high-purity semiconductor market (low extractable values),
- In the paper and pulp industry (chemically resistant to halogens and acids),
- Processing of nuclear waste (radiation and hot-acid resistant)
- The chemical processing industry in general (extreme chemical and temperature applications)
- Membranes for water treatment (industrial and potable water uses).
Kynar® resins are among the easiest fluoropolymers to process in general. Because Kynar® resin is thermally stable and generally does not contain additives, it can be recycled up to four times without affecting its mechanical properties. Kynar® resins, like most thermoplastics, discolour and degrade during processing if the processing temperature, residence time, or shear rate are too high. The below table shows the linear expansion of various Kynar® and Kynar Flex® resins at temperatures ranging from -40°C to 85°C.
Coefficient of Linear Thermal Expansion (X 10 Table -5/C):
|Kynar Flex® 2800-00||9.7||12.9||15.7||18.5||27.4||32.6|
|Kynar Flex® 2950-05||9.7||13.6||17.1||20.2||31.3||37.0|
|Kynar Flex® 3120-50||10.2||13.1||15.5||17.5||23.0||24.7|
The source of the above-mentioned data is Kynar Arkema.
Defining the fluoropolymers:
PVDF is a fluoropolymer as well. Fluoropolymers are polymers or plastics with numerous carbon-to-fluorine bonded sections within each molecule. Fluoropolymer plastics withstand solvents, acids, and bases with ease.
PVDF is also FDA-approved and completely non-toxic. It means it can come into contact with food regularly. Therefore, PVDF Sheet is also safe to use.
PVDF plastics are resistant to which chemicals?
- Acids derived from minerals
- Acids derived from plants
- Solvents containing halogens
- Hydrocarbons with aromatic properties
- Hydrocarbons with aliphatic rings
- Oxidising environments.
PVDF plastic properties:
PVDF plastics have the following properties.
- High Fortitude
- Excellent toughness
- Heat resistance is excellent.
- Excellent electrical insulator
- Chemical resistance is excellent.
- slick or with a low coefficient of friction
- Most gases and liquids have low permeability.
PVDF for Semiconductors:
High purity Kynar® PVDF resin grades fulfil industry needs as semiconductor products require increasingly pure materials. PVDF has fire, abrasion, low-smoke emission, chemical, and mechanical properties. As a result, Kynar® PVDF resin is appropriate for protective sheathing, plenum, and communications. As a result, it has a wide range of applications in the semiconductor industry.
PVDF in EV batteries:
Both public and private vehicles use Kynar® PVDF resin. It can be used in industry as a barrier liner for automotive fuel lines and gas station fuel pipes, decorative films, and as a binder in HEV/EV batteries. It is also used in moulded and thermoformed body components for weathering and anti-grime/graffiti protection and tank trailer linings for corrosion protection.
In the battery industry, Kynar® PVDF homopolymers and Kynar Flex® copolymers are used as binders for cathodes and anodes in lithium-ion batteries. PVDF is also used in battery separators in lithium-ion polymer batteries.
Why choose PVDF Sheets?
This sheet is widely used in applications that require high purity, strength, and resistance to solvent and heat slow smoke generation. It is known for its low density and low cost compared to fluoropolymers. Furthermore, these sheets are available in various piping products due to their ease of melting and low cost compared to others.
Petron Thermoplast made sheet has high-temperature resistance, excellent chemical resistance, good electrical properties, and excellent weldability. We provide PVDF Sheets and PVDF pipe to our valued customers at the most competitive prices.
Size of the sheet:
- The standard size of our sheet has the dimensions of 24 in X 48 in.
- The thickness is from 0.500 into 4 in.
What exactly is PVDF coating?
PVDF is an abbreviation for resin polyvinylidene fluoride. PVDF coatings use high-quality pigments and one of the strongest bonds known, the carbon-fluorine bond, which adds to their durability.
Why is PVDF superior to other paint systems?
PVDF is a highly preferred paint system due to its high performance, superior resistance to premature chalking and fading, and excellent chemical resistance. Excellent abrasion and fading resistance are critical in metal roofing, where the painted surface is highly exposed to erosion factors such as UV rays and debris.
Metal roof panels with a superior paint system, such as PVDF, can retain their aesthetic quality longer than other metal roof paint systems.
You may now understand that PVDF has multiple applications from different aspects. Petron Thermoplast makes quality products that last long. You can purchase our reliable PVDF Sheet at an affordable price and use it properly according to your requirement.