PSU (Polysulfone) rod, also known as polyaryl sulfones, is an amorphous, food-safe thermoplastic with high dimensional stability and mechanical strength. It has excellent dielectric properties, is chemically resistant, and has a flammability rating of class UL94 V-0, which means the polymer will self-extinguish after the flame is removed. Polysulfone rod is also resistant to radiation and can be used in repeated steam sterilisation applications due to its hydrolysis resistance. Because PSU is not UV stabilised and is susceptible to weathering, it should not be used in outdoor applications.
PSU rod is commonly used in applications where components must operate at higher temperatures and are microwave permeable. We frequently machine polysulfone rods into parts used in humidifiers, steam cleaning applications, and microwave ovens at Petron Thermoplast. Please see our plastic machining section for more information on the machining services we can offer.
- Microwave oven parts, blow-dryers, humidifiers, food industry, pump wheels, insulators, and steam cleaning components for use in the medical sector are all common applications.
- Temperature: -100°C up to +160°C.
- Mechanical, thermal, and electrical properties are all excellent.
- Chemical, radiation and hydrolysis resistance is exceptional.
- Provides moderate stress cracking resistance.
- V-0 self-extinguishes.
- Dimensional stability is excellent.
- Outstanding dielectric properties.
- Hot steam sterilisation is possible.
- Food is okay.
- High rigidity and strength.
Complies with FDA food regulation CFR 21, 177.1655 for articles or components of Polysulfone intended for use in contact with food
Offers a class UL94 V-0 flammability rating.
|Rod Length (mm)||Rod Diameter (mm)|
|–||20 30 40 50 60 80 100|
|3000||* * * * * * *|
|1000||* * * * * * *|
Note: If a specific colour of material is required, please state this in writing at the point of enquiry. Other diameters may be available – please enquire.